[BadVista Advocate] Xandros

Jacob Maynard indymaynard at maynard.homelinux.com
Thu Jun 7 10:11:01 EDT 2007

Right, but we're talking about 8 months since Novell turned coat. In 8
months, can all of the free developers (I refrain from saying open-source
because of the separate ideals, though open-source could join in) get
together and enhance the capabilities of a truly free system to the point
that there is no need for proprietary anything and is not uncomfortable to
switch to from Windows systems? I have no doubts that it COULD happen, I
just don't think that it WILL happen. Given time and a clear objective,
plus a worldwide collaboration, a system could be made to fit these
guidelines. But we have to be realistic about it.

So, if another company does this in another 8 months, we're in even bigger
trouble. Our timeline gets shortened to develop a distribution that will
encourage the general populace to turn from Windows. And we have to have
that to keep GNU/Linux free and accomplish our objectives.

Jacob