[BadVista Advocate] New "Transitioning to GNU/Linux" article

Michael Fötsch foetsch at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 06:46:22 EDT 2007

Jacob Maynard wrote:
> I'm thinking that we need a page devoted to Windows programs and their
> free equivalents. That's going to be a lot of work, but I think it's
> something that needs to be there. Or just link to a pre-existing one such
> as
> http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

We should link to existing ones. http://www.osalt.com/ looks useful too. Disclaimer: I haven't really used their site and I don't know what their standards are for "open source" software.

Speaking about transitioning:

In my opinion, a list of application alternatives is only the second step--when people are already using GNU/Linux. We also need articles discussing ways to actually *make* the transition.

In this regard, I very much enjoyed Chris Mostek's blog posts at http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/, which are written from the perspective of someone who has first-hand experience with Windows and GNU/Linux.
I asked Chris for permission to use his article "Tips for transitioning to a GNU/Linux distribution" under the GFDL, which he kindly granted. You can find it on the BinaryFreedom wiki: http://wiki.binaryfreedom.info/index.php/Transitioning_to_GNU/Linux

Some changes need to be made: There are still some references to proprietary software and similar issues, which we must remove in order to make the article useful in the context of BadVista.

If I know you, you're already over at http://wiki.binaryfreedom.info/ actively working on the changes, right (hint! ;-)

As I said to Chris, I really hope to produce a "Complete Conversion Guide to GNU/Linux" someday. But it won't happen without your help. The other ideas about producing YouTube videos, drawing logos, linking to sites with free software alternatives, etc., are all part of this effort, of course.

Kind Regards,
M.F.