[BadVista Advocate] Linux for Newbies

Jacob Maynard indymaynard at maynard.homelinux.com
Tue Jun 26 12:46:37 EDT 2007

You are very correct. I learned a lot as well when I bought the book. But
a website getting people started could include all information and be free
for people to browse and learn. The books are expensive. I know because I
have a bad addiction when it comes to buying those geek books.

But people don't want this huge tome cluttering their shelves and
something they have to go through an index for every time they need
information. A website is great because it doesn't take any space and you
can produce it for a lower cost. People can find it on Google or Yahoo.
It's so easy. Searching only requires a few keystrokes. There are so many
benefits to it.

I have to stay focused, here. I agree that there should be a distribution
in the spirit of gNewSense. It should be entirely free. But that doesn't
work flawlessly because too many things are unsupported. If I was patient
enough, I would learn to program (They only offered VB in school). But I
can't focus on one thing for long enough, in case you couldn't tell. So
it's slow going. And people don't have the patience for something that
half works. I can tell you that right now. I couldn't get my dad to switch
because his wireless card wouldn't work. That's not good.

Anyway, before I write too much here, that's my two cents.

Jacob