[BadVista Advocate] Linux for Newbies

Jacob Maynard indymaynard at maynard.homelinux.com
Mon Jun 25 08:42:02 EDT 2007

I hope I can say this without sounding brash, but your tutorial, while
very nice in appearance and amount of information, is just another
tutorial. What needs to happen is for us to have a centralized place with
answers to questions that are not distro specific. In other words, we need
a tutorial for all distros, and we need tutorials for all the common
applications or applications to use in lieu of the familiar Windows
programs out there. We need to have that web IRC client somewhere in that
site. All of the information needs to be centralized, and we don't need
everything to be another forum.

I was thinking that a Moodle design wouldn't be bad, but there's a
learning curve for that.

What it boils down to is that there is no single site for all of the
information to switch to GNU/Linux. It's all spread across Google and
Yahoo (not literally, of course). And everything is a forum. Forums are
not user-friendly. It's another username and password for someone to
remember.

We need videos, pictures, explanations, tutorials, comparisons, chat (tech
support), etc. The site will have to be an entire site, not just single
pages linking to other single pages.

This is a huge undertaking, but if all of us are willing to input on it,
I'm sure that we could figure something out.

Jacob