[BadVista Advocate] Linux for Newbies

Iskren Chernev iskren.chernev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:10:35 EDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Iskren Chernev wrote:
> > I have to admit - this is NOT user friendly! I don't
> > understand why there isn't a big and cool web site for cups where
> > every newbie can find the information needed.
>
> Try http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

I don't mean to be rude and I don't want to bury in discussions about
unimportant things but the only thing I have to say about this website
is, that a year or some ago, when I tried to install the printer
(Xerox Phaser 3117) on Fedora Core 4/6 (I don't remember which one -
probably both :) ), I saw this page
http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Xerox-Phaser_3117
and I could NOT install the printer from the information given there.
(the printer ML 6040, which appears to be alike the Phaser was not
written there at that time I think). And why on the page it says that
is is perfectly working, and a couple of lines down - it is said "data
on this page is not verified or proofread".

So in my concern - this can be a very good site for linux users but
probably not the best one for newbies (I was a newbie myself and this
page came across google not only one time...but I didn't manage to use
it :-/ ).

Iskren Chernev