[BadVista Advocate] Gpl3 and Linspire

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Jun 18 00:39:19 EDT 2007

member greenarrow1 wrote:
> I cannot figure out why Kevin from Linspire decided to partner up with
> Microsoft mainly because he was one of the biggest protesters about
> the Novell/MS deal.

Really?  Do you have a source for this?

> I am trying to figure out why he turned and was
> wondering, does he know something about Gpl3 I do not?  The way I read
> the final draft Linspire would be doomed in the future for signing a
> deal with MS but after reading Kevin's remarks he does not think so.

As far as I can tell, you're right.  They're basically screwed unless
they back out of the deal.  No need to speculate though.  GPLv3 is in 11
days, and I predict a lot of programs will jump right away (not to
mention GNU).  It won't be long before GPLv3 updates are needed to
address critical security vulnerabilities, and we'll see what happens.

Matthew Flaschen